I’m happy to announce release of the very first plug-in, code named SN01, from my Signal Noise line of VST effects (currently Windows only, though). It’s a VCA style dynamic range compressor, and when it comes to its name – S stands for Signal, N for Noise, and 01 is obviously the ordinal number.
The plug-in comes in two flavors. One is GUI-less (SN01) and the other one has a nice colorful user interface (SN01-G). Now, you can probably starting to see were the G came from. If not, it denotes the version with GUI. Of course, both flavors come as 32-bit and also 64-bit.
To copy/paste straight from the manual:
SN01/SN01-G is a dynamic range compression plug-in, inspired by two classic VCA buss compressors of UK and US variety. It has switchable linked feed-forward/feedback topology, with highly variable knee, optional internal side-chain filtering and ‘push’ effect, and adjustable wet/dry ratio. The plug-in is designed to work both as musically pleasing buss glue while also being an efficient channel insert with low ASIO/CPU footprint.
Delving further into the details, the features look like this:
- threshold from +20dB to -20dB (zero mark is at -20dBFS)
- ratio from 1:1 (no compression) to infinity (brick-wall)
- gain up to +24dB
- attack in range from 0.03ms to 30ms
- release in range from 50ms to 2 seconds
- adjustable knee width 0-24dB (0dB = hard-knee)
- adjustable knee strength (0% = hard knee)
- 2 optional filters for internal side-chain
- optional ‘push’ effect for more extreme compression
- dry/wet control for parallel compression (0-100%)
- switchable topology (feed-forward/feedback)
- no saturation modelling
Maybe it would be also useful to add that the effect works in stereo, i.e. you can put it on both mono and stereo tracks. I think that it’s a pretty much given in this day and age, but just in case anyone would wonder.
Well, if you are in need of a VCA like compressor with the ability to adjust all meaningful parameters of audio compression process, one that’s without excessive digital fakery of so-called ‘mojo’ (whatever that means), SN01-G is made for you. If, on top of it all, you like to play it solely by ear, SN01 is your match made in heaven.
And don’t let the price fool you – the best things in life are free 😉